Thursday, July 26, 2007

4 Shows, 3 Days.

Friday night: Gogol Bordello.
If you don't know Gogol Bordello; check them out NOW. They're amazing gypsy punk and quite amazing live. The lead singer, Eugene, was in Everything is Illuminated. I saw them last year I(june I believe) and stood in the front and got killed, as usual, but since I knew this would be a big weekend I decided to stand, with many parents, in the balcony and on the side (with my mother who was my dear for the night - she is obsessed with them.) After a night of amazing music and a new perspective (litterally) on being a fan came the encore. Eugene climbed up to where I was - I fuck you not - proceeded to make out with the girl next to be (the only other female under 40 near us) and then grab and hug me and scream down to the crowd for like five minutes then scream at me "The after party is next!" and when I asked where it was he simply said with his bloody lip "The Buglarian bar." So basically all the kids downstairs were killing themselves to get close to them all night whereas Eugene came to me. Ha. Sightings: possibly Karen O and (def) bandmate Nick Zinner.
Saturday Morning: Siren.
I had never been to SIren because I was always away but to be honest it wasn't all that fun for me. It was well put together and such and I got tons of free stuff and, as usual, I love Coney Island but the lineup wasn't all that great so I only ended up watching two bands. I got there quite early and ended up in the front by mistake (I intended on staying further back) and watched Twilight Sad (not really that memorable but they were good) and Dr. Dog (the only band I really came to see, i've seen NY Dolls many a time and by later on I was far too full and sunned out to stay for MIA or Black Lips). They were very very good and I danced around for a bit but when one of my dears was passing out we went for lunch (Nathan's, of course) and then home. Yes, I'm a boring old man.
Saturday Night: Doc Pomus Tribute in Prospect Park.
Not much to say. It was well done. Sharon Jones was amazing as was many others. I went to see Lou Reed and teddy Thompson but was quite dissapointed when Teddy didn't show. Lou was very good. I was tired so no dancing took place with the 60 year old women in front of me, but that's OK.
Sunday: McCarren Park Pool Parties.
Work work. Except not since I didn't really have a job and wandered around for a while, sat and watched the Annuals (amazing) and left before Band of Horses came on.
Thus concludes my whirlwind weekend.

No comments: